Friday, December 26, 2008

About target dates and new year's resolutions

I just left a comment at a lovely writing blog that came to my attention via Google Alerts. In it she quotes from my first book, WISHCRAFT. You can see the post here:

http://writingnag.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-favorite-christmas-gift.html

and here's the relevant segment to my post today:
.........................
Possibilities, opportunities, the unknown, the power everyone has to change their life, here's hoping that 2009 is the year you achieve your goals!
In Barbara Sher's book Wishcraft How to Get What You Really Want Barbara writes that "your true goal, or target, has to be a concrete action or event, not only so you'll know for sure when you get there, but so that you can make that date with success in advance!"

Today, instead of making New Year's resolutions that your enthusiasm might wane for by January 30th what goals can you set with dates?
......................

I left a brief comment which might take a few days to go through the monitoring process, so I'd like to repeat it here because I think you ought to know about it before you start making your New Year's Resolutions -- about anything, not just writing. Here's my comment:

Great blog, writing nag. And thanks for mentioning Wishcraft. 2009 will be its 30th anniversary, if you can believe that. (I can't.)

I've found that setting a date changes everything, but be prepared: setting a date can make your goal so real that you get scared. Never underestimate fear as a deterrent to action. It's a bear.

It's like the difference between saying 'Marry me,' and saying 'Marry me on Mar 5.'

The first one just means 'I love you.' Yummy.

The second one will scare you out of your wits. Be prepared for Resistance to rear its head, in one form or another.

One way to avoid too much fear is to lower the danger level. Maybe make the goal very small at first, and the date closer. Then do it again. Then see if you can get away with setting a date for completing a chapter, or whatever might awaken your Inner Ambulance again.

Good luck and keep up the good work,

Your fellow writer,
Barbara Sher
http://writeyourownsuccessstory.com/

1 comment:

Gaea Yudron said...

I now know that I've been a scanner all these years! Your book Refuse to Choose has been a wonderful revelation, and thanks for all the tools you included in it as well as the wonderful stories of personal experience. I appreciate you and your work.